Power Yoga is a form of Yoga, a rigorous form. Yoga is known for getting fit internally and rejuvenating the mind and body. And Power Yoga makes you fit and helps you lose weight.
Power Yoga consists of some cardiovascular activities that help you in weight loss. Why Yoga? one could ask. Yoga definitely makes you healthy and fit, along with that it connects your mind, body, and spirit for better well being.
In the physical sense, Power yoga helps you strengthen your gluteal muscles and tone the entire body.
Power Yoga Poses –
Here are some easy & fantastic power yoga poses for your weight loss journey.
1 – Basic Squats – The Utkatasana or simple squats help you tone your thigh muscles. Just squatting down halfway and getting up is what this exercise is all about. It is important to follow and maintain the technique of inhaling and exhaling while going down and coming up.
This is also known as Utkatasana, and it is for your thigh muscles. It is easy to do, as you have to squat down half and getting up. While doing squats you need to match your breathing with the exercise. Inhale while going down and exhale while going up.
How to do Squats
- Stand with your feet parallel.
- EXHALE PROCESS: Bend your knees Slowly keeping your thighs together, and lower your hips toward heels and keep your arms extended towards the floor.
- INHALE PROCESS: Now Raise your arms forward and keeping raising towards the ceiling. Keep your gaze forward and neck Straight.
- Keep your weight equally on both feet, with a strong awareness in the heels.
- Draw your belly-button in towards the spine.
- Imagine your lower back as a downhill slope.
- Move the muscles that move the bones.
- Lengthen from tailbone to the top of the head, drawing shoulders drawn down the back to the elongate neck.
- Draw shoulder blades down the back and in towards the spine as the arms extend and palms turn in towards each other.
- Sit with it.
- Keep those thighbones parallel and those legs engaged the whole time.
- Focus on stability and grounding, and for goodness sake just don’t rush through this.
2 – Downward dog to half plank variation – This is a core exercise that will strengthen your core. It will work on your abdominal muscles.
How to do Downward dog to half plank variation
1 – Stand straight with the feets shoulder-width apart.
2 – Now bend your upper body towards your feet & try to keep your legs straight.
3 – With the arms stretched and straight touch the floor, making a V shape. Keep your ankles in contact with the ground.
4 – Lift one leg and raise it till your capacity. Try to stretch it more.
5 – Swing back your leg and try to touch your chest with your knee. While doing this, move your body in the plank position.
6 – Again go back to V shape and repeat the process of lift and swinging back with your other leg.
3 – Downward Dog to Small Dog – This is the little variation of the previous one. This exercise works on your leg and abdominal muscles.
How to do Downward Dog to Small Dog
1 – Make a V – shape or Dog Position as explained in the previous exercise. By touching your hands and feet on the floor.
2 – Now bend your knees towards your head, by lifting your ankle.
3 – Return back in the Dog Position.
4 – This will work on your abdominal and thigh muscles simultaneously.
4 – Small Dog to Plank – This is the variation of the previous exercise and it focuses on your core and shoulders together.
How to do Small Dog to Plank
1 – Make the V shape or Dog position, by touching your hands and feet on the floor.
2 – Bend your knees towards your head by lifting your ankle.
3 – From this position move into the plank position and return back to the small dog position.
4 – Repeat the same process for 10-15 times.
5 – Standing to Leg Raise – it is a great exercise for weight loss and body toning especially the midsection. This exercise works on your knees, thighs, and engages the entire lower body.
How to do Standing to Leg Raise
1 – Stand straight with feet shoulder-width apart.
2 – Raise your arms towards the ceiling.
3 – Bend your upper body along with arms. Keep your knees straight.
4 – Touch on the floor with your hands. Try to touch as near as possible to the toes.
5 – Now lift your one leg till your capacity.
6 – Repeat the it with the other leg.
6 – Abdominal Churning – This is the best exercise to burn fat around the hips and belly. Inhale and Exhale is very important in this exercise. This exercise strengthens and tones the lower body.
How to do Abdominal Churning
1 – You Lie down on your back, legs straight, hands straight along with your body
2 – Lift your both legs together and keep them straight
3 – Now move your both legs making O in air from your feets in Clockwise and Anti clockwise direction.
7 – Markat Asana – This Asana works on your lower back and thigh muscles. It also stretches the muscles of your lower body.
How to do Markat Asana
- Begin lying comfortably on the back. Bend your knees into your chest and extend your arms out alongside the body in a “T” formation, with your palms facing up toward the ceiling.
- Inhale here, lengthening your tailbone down toward the ground. As you exhale, drop both of your bent knees over to the right, and send your gaze over to the left.
- Keep your knees and feet close together, and press the backs of your shoulder blades down toward the mat.
- Remain in the twist for 5-10 breaths, then inhale to come back up to center. On your next exhale, drop your knees to the left, and send your gaze to the right.
- Inhale to come back up to center. Wrap your arms around your legs and gently rock from side to side to release the low back, then extend both legs straight down onto the mat.
Benefits of Power Yoga – Power yoga has become popular around the world and gives you a complete body workout which includes flexibility, toning, and making different muscles group and the entire body strong.
Let us look at just some of the many benefits of Power Yoga listed below:
- Burns calories
- Increases stamina
- Increases metabolism
- Stress relief
- Increases flexibility