There are few ways through which we can add a tracking code. First we need to understand why we need to add the code to our website? First and foremost, one has to know what is going on in the website. It has to be In terms of activities from the viewers. This code helps you to map your website with the Google Analytics. This helps to determine the keywords used to find the website, time spent on website. The activities carried out while surfing the website is also shown by GA. Not only that it also tracks the conversion goals for you too.
Things to Note
Few Pre requisites before moving ahead in this tutorial, make sure that you have a Gmail account and an email ID. You must be having Standard Google Analytics account as we suggest you NOT to use a google Analytics 360 account.
With that out of the way and settled, lets check the way to add the Tracking code from Google Analytics to your website.
GOOGLE ANALYTICS Login & TRACKING CODE
The first and only step you will need is to find the tracking ID. Tracking ID is a unique ID generated by google specifically for your account. Tracking ID basically helps google to track the various activities on your website. As a matter of fact at any website where it is pasted.
In Order to get the tracking Code/ID please follow the below steps –
- Login to your Google Analytics Account.
- As you enter in the account, ON the left-hand side bottom of the page we can see ADMIN
- Click ADMIN and we will go in a new page wherein we can see three columns on the left namely ACCOUNT, PROPERTY and VIEW
- Go to ACCOUNTS and select the account from the dropdown menu.
- After selecting the account, click on the middle column named PROPERTY
- Select the property from the dropdown menu for which you need to have the Google Analytics code.
- Under the PROPERTY Column, we need to click to TRACKING INFO and
- Click to TRACKING CODE which has the Unique code.
- As we click the TRACKING CODE, a side panel will open which will show you your tracking ID which starts with UA and Also a Google Site Tag.
- This is the Global Site Tag (gtag.js) tracking code for this property. Copy and paste this code as the first item into the <HEAD> of every webpage you want to track.
- If you already have a Global Site Tag on your page, simply add the config line from the snippet below to your existing Global Site Tag.
In Picture shown above, the google Tracking code will look like this. As we follow these steps you are a step closer to get your website traffic data .you can also manage the activities and goals for your website for a better engagement and reach to the viewer.
Further more, if you want to check out our video on this topic then head our YouTube video
After logging in and getting the access to tracking code, you need to get a good hang on Google Analytics 4. For which you can read our blog on how to setup Google Analytics 4 account