How to Do Meditation at Home
Meditation is a very powerful technique for mental health, existing for a very long time. It has been found that meditation has short term and long term benefits. Meditation helps in reducing stress & anxiety, enhanced well being, improve sleep, and overall health. It helps you understand, How the mind works and How to work with your mind.
To practice meditation, people join monasteries and ashrams or leave the hustle-bustle of the city and move to some silent locations away from distraction. Meditation technique has evolved so much that you can meditate where you are. You have to just find a silent spot where no one can disturb you. Take some time out for the wonderful technique meditation and feel relaxed very very relaxed.
What is the best way to meditate at home?
The very important thing you have to take care of is “Faith”. You have to show Faith in meditation and its benefits. It is not a one-time thing, you need to meditate daily for good results. That’s why it is being practiced.
- Think about your motivation – What do you want to achieve by doing meditation? Are you looking to reduce stress, sleep better, coping with chronic pain? Then you should do a guided meditation, relaxation meditation, or chanting. Are you looking for understanding your mind? Then practice mindfulness and awareness meditation. Are you looking for empathy, patience & generosity? Then practice gratitude meditation. Do you want to go deeper into your relationship with the divine presence? Spiritual meditation can take you there.
- Start Small and work your way up – In the beginning, it is important to start with small and manageable sessions. Session of 3-5 minutes, in the beginning, will be a good start to sit in silence and connect with the brain. By the time you start enjoying it, you can scale up to 10 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour session. As many meditation experts suggest, the quality of your meditation is more important than the length.
- Pick a convenient time and a comfortable spot – For meditation find a quiet place away from distractions. And the best time, early mornings is preferable as you wake up fresh and no interruptions. After finding a spot and time you will need a chair or cushion to sit on for the session. Your spine should be aligned or straight, your neck and shoulders should be relaxed. Your eyes can be half-open or shut during the meditation session.
- Focus – In every type of meditation focus is must to silent or relax your mind. Your mind is always aware of your surroundings and it will respond to it. Like bad odor, itching, disturbing sound, etc. It will keep remembering you the to-do tasks, plans and list are endless. To help your mind to get away from the distractions, you should focus your mind on something like your breath, some sound, sensation, it could be something. Don’t force your mind to stop thinking you just need to redirect it.
- Benefits of Meditation for mind & Body – Our mind and body are connected to each other. If you are happy for a long time then you feel energetic. And when you feel good about your body then your mind is relaxed. Meditation leads to a healthy and peaceful mind. Let’s see the benefits of meditation
- Mind and Body Work together – Mind and Body are very different, but they definitely affect each other. When you exercise your body you send more oxygen to the brain through the blood. And When you are mentally relaxed or happy you feel energetic. Meditation makes your mind relax and encourage it to think positively.
- Importance of the Mind – Your Mind is a very powerful tool. It can make you like what you feed it. You give it positive thoughts you will get positive results in the form of positive energy, good body. Solutions to the problems. You are a reflection of your mind. Meditation helps the mind to relax and become positive.
- Motivation to meditate – We do things repeatedly which we like doing. Feeling calm, compose, happy, and relaxed all the time motivates you to practice meditation more. You will see a drastic change in your behavior and attract positive things in your life.
- Step by Step Process of Meditation –
- Sit at a selected spot comfortably with the back straight, shoulder, and neck relaxed.
- Close your eyes and breath naturally.
- Focus on your breath, follow your breath from inhale to exhale. You are inhaling cold air, going through nose to lungs, and coming back to your nose becoming warm while exhaling.
- Keep the focus on your breath if you got distracted, till the end of the session.
Meditation will transform your personality completely if followed religiously. You will become whatever you want to be.