Today, as we all know about the situation around the world, one can just think of keeping themselves safe from outside world as much as possible. For safety and other hygiene reasons people use masks and sanitizers as a primary product for keeping themselves safe from the virus. Government and other medical institutions are advising us to stay at homes only but have you ever thought that is your home also is virus/ bacteria free? Maintaining personal hygiene is considered to be prime step against all the unwanted organisms as well as diseases around you. So, is it important to clean and sanitize your home as well? I bet you haven’t thought about it much but According to top Doctors and Health institutions keeping your home and surrounding clean is the most important aspect in hygiene.
Doctors around the world explains “only washing the home by ands and cleaning is not enough to prevent human body to transmit the harmful viruses. Sanitization is also very important in maintaining basic habit for hygiene purpose. There are few points explained by Doctors which we can take before sanitizing the home –
- Taking off the shoes outside the home and keep it in a manner where no one gets touched by it, especially if we have children or elderly at home.
- Wipe / spray every item with soap water or sanitizer. It can be anything from food product packaging to vegetables.
- Clean the surfaces 5 times a day which are being touched by family members regularly.
- Use the sanitizer/ alcohol-based product for cleaning which is having 70% or more alcohol content.
- If the surface is very dirty, make sure to clean with detergent or cleaning mix then sanitize it.
- Wear disposable gloves while cleaning the home or washing utensils or clothes, If you cant wear the gloves then make sure to wash your hands after you done washing.
- Separate the clothes you’ve worn while you go out of the house from the clothes you generally wear at home. The best solution to this is to wash the clothes every time you come back to home.
- If you cannot buy any disinfectant from the market then you can make it by yourself at home by mixing 5 tablespoons of household Bleach in 1 Liter of water. Mix the ingredients thoroughly and start using it as a disinfectant.
THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT IS TO WASH OUR HANDS REGULARLY FOR 20-25 SECONDS AND WEAR FACE MASKS EVERYTIME YOU INTERACT WITH ANYONE.
Now that we know the basic things we need to do on daily basis, we move to the main part which is sanitizing the house thoroughly. We will move area wise which means there are different areas of the house which needs to be sanitized in a different way from one another. For example – kitchen will be a different case than a bathroom or the bedroom.
So, read on to learn about some common trouble spots around the house and solutions for keeping your living spaces safe and healthy.
HOW TO CLEAN KITCHEN
Everyone in the home tends to gravitate towards the kitchen as it is the most visited place of the house for quenching the thirst or to have food. It is treated as part restaurant, part entertainment Centre and also a part family room. It is the favorite place for most of the insects and the microorganisms to feed and live. Practically every surface in Kitchen is acting as a magnet to all types of microorganisms. A study says that the viruses can stay on for hours or days in some cases on few of the common kitchen surfaces: Plastic – 3 days, cardboard – 1 Day, Steel – 2 days.
Some important tips to sanitize kitchen are as follows –
- Wash and sanitize your hands every time you go in or come out of kitchen.
- Regularly Wipe your kitchen surfaces and all the equipment (gas stove, microwave, Mixer Grinder, being used with soap water/disinfectant.
- Wash your utensils with soap water thoroughly.
- Sponge which is used to clean should be cleaned by dipping it in hot water and soap mixture for 10 minutes, then drying and putting it in microwave for 1 minute. Squeezing it well and then keep it to dry more.
- Sanitize your kitchen areas which are not accessible most of the time with mixture of chlorine and bleach powder or any disinfectants so that cockroaches and other insects will keep distance from kitchen. DO NOT USE BLEACH AND AMMONIA as it mixes to produce harmful chemical.
HOW TO CLEAN BATHROOM
The bathroom so as to say is quite new to human beings as earlier people used outhouses or even fields to keep away the pathogens from human contact. Today as we have the luxury of using it in our homes, we also have to see the downside of dealing with the pathogens quite often. SO, we need to take a good care of the bathroom as well. Some places which we tend to ignore unknowingly are –
- Toilet Handles – I am sure that we clean our toilets and seat regularly but we don’t keep an eye on toilet handles and washer. Keep the flush handle cleaned with a disinfectant that explicitly records battling microbes or infections on the name. Purifying with a 60 percent liquor arrangement can likewise help evacuate the infection particles of SARS-CoV-2.
- Floor and Ceiling – Mold is the most common organism found in bathroom. Another danger is the trichophyton which is too harmful for humans. Some important things to keep in mind are to wipe the tub and shower walls with the towel or tissue papers and then disinfect with soap and hot water mixture by spraying ion it. Also, we need to empty the waste basket daily and wash our hands at last when we come out of bathroom.
HOW TO CLEAN BEDROOM
You think that you are sleeping alone in the bed at night, but you are wrong. Dust Mites, Dust and pet dander are keeping you company all night long. The bugs adds poor air quality and can irritate your nostrils too much making you allergic most of the times. Some common tips to clean bedroom are –
- Twice a week, wash all the bedding in hot water above 130 degrees to kill dust mites.
- Use zippered plastic mattress covers and pillow covers to avoid the contact.
- vacuum uncovered mattress daily.
- Wipe out the bedroom daily with floor cleaner and mixture of chlorine and hot water.
Then comes other parts of home which we need to take special care of such as
- Door Knobs – which we need to disinfect with disinfectant spray/ or by wiping them regularly with it.
Carpets and Rugs -As carpets and rugs are made of cloth which are highly bound together, it tends to attract lots of dust and unwanted organisms. Firstly, we should spray some disinfectant which is primarily consisting of alcohol as it gets evaporated easily. And then We should shake out the carpets twice month and put it in sunlight.
- Walls – Paints contain unpredictable natural mixes (VOCs), a tremendous wellspring of indoor air contamination. These synthetics, likewise found in upholstery, materials, and other structure materials, can cause various wellbeing related issues. Of basic concern are paints in more seasoned homes that may contain lead.
The assembling of toxic paint was restricted in 1978. In the event that your home was worked from that point forward, you’re most likely fine on this one. To lessen your introduction to these poisonous fumes, pick low-VOC paints, milk paints, or whitewashes.
In more seasoned homes, check for the nearness of lead by employing an authorized hazard assessor or by buying a lead home test unit at your nearby home improvement shop.
On the off chance that you find lead in your home, ask about lead expulsion items at the home improvement shop or recruit an accomplished expert to evacuate it.
Today, in the unfortunate times as we all are experiencing unprecedented situations, we should be knowing this by now that it is high time now and we need to and we should follow extreme hygiene steps in our daily lives in order to keep ourselves healthy and safe from unwanted diseases.